Friday, June 18, 2010

Starting Over

Daryl and I have decided to read the Book of Mormon together, so I am starting over. I have read through the first few chapters and have already noticed a lot that I didn't pick up on the last time I read through it. That is the great thing about the Book of Mormon - every time I read it, different things stand out to me that are relevant to what is going on in my life at the time. I've noticed in my scripture study that if we study with a mind and heart open to the Spirit, then we will find the answers to the questions in our hearts, whether through the words in the scriptures themselves, or through personal revelation that comes with the Holy Ghost when we are keeping the commandments.

Every time I've read 1 Nephi 1:1, I've always thought it interesting how Nephi starts his history by describing his background as "having been born of goodly parents." I decided to look up the footnote to "goodly" which took me to Proverbs 22:1 which states "A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold." How interesting that we should read later in the next chapter of the faith of Lehi that he leaves all of his riches behind to journey into the wilderness because the Lord commands him to. Nephi also says in the same verse that he has been "highly favored of the Lord...having had a great knowledge of the goodness and mysteries of God." I will probably never in this life know the mysteries of God to the extent that Nephi did, but I have to say that it made me realize that I have still experienced the Lord's favor in the knowledge and revelations that I have received in my life. Thinking about them now, I remember just how precious that knowledge is to me, and how grateful I am for it. Indeed, I mention it in every prayer to my Heavenly Father, because without such knowledge I would be completely lost.

With that said, I couldn't help but wonder about verse 14 where Lehi is speaking to the Lord after he has seen a vision. He says "and, because thou art merciful, thou wilt not suffer those who come unto thee that they shall perish!" I know this has been true in my life. God has stepped in more than once to save me from a fate worse than death, but I can't help but think of others who have not been so fortunate, and my heart goes out to those, and their loved ones, who are righteous, and yet they suffer. But I know that our Heavenly Father is infinitely merciful in that He gave us His Son that we might not suffer a spiritual death that would keep us from Him forever. And in that He truly will not suffer those who come unto Him to perish, but they will be judged righteously, as only an all-knowing, yet loving Heavenly Father would. Meaning, our Heavenly Father knows what is in our hearts, and He knows the weaknesses that we struggle with, and the hardships and trials that He allows us to experience, and therefore He knows how we should be judged. And with a loving Savior as our mediator, sent to us by that same God who knows us and wants us to join Him our our Savior to be with Them for eternity, Christ makes intercession for us, that our spiritual debt may be paid if we will but sacrifice our sins and become more like Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment