Sunday, June 20, 2010

1 Nephi chapter 3

Of course the first thing in this chapter that I marked and took note of is scripture mastery: "I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them," (vs 7). There are so many times in life that this scripture is crucial to remember. So many times have I felt like the path set before seems impossible, and yet I need to remember that when the Lord commands us to follow a road that is not easy, He does not do so without giving us a way to accomplish the task. That doesn't always mean that he makes the path clear for us, but that sometimes he merely gives us strength to climb over the rocks and even mountains in our way.

1 Nephi 3:31 talks about how easily Laman and Lemuel complained even after being visited and reprimanded by an angel for not having faith that they could obtain the brass plates from Laban. Again it's easy to point a finger at Laman and Lemuel, who in my opinion were indeed very lost in their understanding of the gospel and power of God, but I still think a parallel can be drawn between them and ourselves. There are times when it is easy to forget the blessings and manifestations of God that He is real and present in our lives, and we sometimes succumb to the discouragement and doubt that the world and Satan would have overcome us. I have known that discouragement all too well. And yet, I can also say that I have experience the power of God in my life in ways that I know He loves me and has never forsaken me. It has not been easy to learn this, but it has definitely been worth it. I had a blessing once when I was in the middle of just such a troubled time that explained that my pain and suffering was allowed by God so that I would be able to help those whom I may come across in my life that need the same kind of understanding that I have gained through the gospel. I'll probably say it more than once, but it has been the price I've paid to know God, and I would not give it up for anything in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment