Sunday, June 20, 2010

1 Nephi charpter 2

In 1 Nephi verses 12-13, we read about Laman and Lemuel doubting the words of their father, Lehi, who had seen a vision that Jerusalem would be destroyed. We read consistently throughout the history of this family of Laman and Lemuel constant murmuring and doubt in the dealings of the Lord, "because they knew not the dealings of that God who had created them," (vs. 12). It's easy to look at Laman and Lemuel and point a finger at they're inability to understand that God can do all things, but how often do we also misunderstand the work of the Lord and doubt things, both great and small. I know I have. I've read my patriarchal blessing numerous times, and yet still wondered if the blessings laid out in it will ever become a reality. It's childish to believe in certain aspects of the gospel, and yet doubt others. But that is the point of this life; to learn and grow in the gospel, and increase our understanding and testimony of all of the works of God. Even Christ, in all his divinity, had to learn one principle at a time.

As I continued to read, I also noticed that Nephi had to develop his own testimony of the words of his father. Instead of relying on his father's testimony and believing, without knowing, that what he said was true, Nephi went to the Lord to know for himself the truthfulness of the gospel. (1 Ne 2:16-19)

In verses 23-24, we read the Lord's words to Nephi, who prayed to the Lord with humility and "lowliness of heart" (vs 19), in which the Lord told him basically that if his people did not keep the commandments, then those who would later be known as the Lamanites would be a "scourge unto [his] seed, to stir them up in the ways of remembrance," (vs. 24). This is one of multiple times that I can think of where I know that the Lord knows all things that will come to pass, and is very specific in the explanation of what will happen should we choose to obey or not obey His commandments; and yet in spite of knowing all things past, present and future, the consequences are laid out on a contingency basis. In other words, though He knows what will happen, we still have a choice. I can't help but say that that kind of baffles me. I do not completely understand that, and yet in a way I do. It is interesting that although Nephi will see for himself that Laman and Lemuel's posterity will rebel and be cursed by the Lord, he still prays that they will choose to obey.

I had a friend once whom I deeply cared about, who investigated the church and then walked away from it. Over the years he became more and more rebellious, and more lost in the things of the world. I prayed for him over and again, and believe that I received revelation at times that he would one day come back unto Christ and be baptized. Nevertheless, I continued to pray for him that he would change sooner rather than later, that he may be spared the additional pain that he would experience living a life without the truthfulness of the gospel and the comfort of the Holy Ghost. He has not yet come back to the church, and yet I know that somehow the Lord will prepare him again to receive the gospel into his life, and he will be faced with the decision of whether to accept or reject what I know he knew at one time to be true. I can only hope and believe in the best. I suppose it's similar, though a different situation, to Nephi's experience with his own people and with those of his brothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment