Sunday, June 20, 2010

1 Nephi chapter 7

This chapter talks a lot about how Laman and Lemuel wanting to return to Jerusalem because they did not believe the words of their father, Lehi and younger brother, Nephi that Jerusalem would be destroyed. It reminded me of Lot's wife, who, while leaving the unrighteous city, Sodom, looked back on the city and immediately turned into a pillar of salt. The Old Testament is filled with stories that in our day, may seem a little dramatic, but Lot's wife was specifically disobeying the commandments of the Lord. The symbolism in her looking back on the city is similar to those of Lehi's party who wanted to return to Jerusalem, and is equally as relevant in our day. Sure we won't be struck by the Lord, and we most likely will not be turned into a pillar of salt. But we sometimes look back on our sins the way Lot's wife looked on Sodom, and the way Laman and Lemuel wanted to return to Jerusalem. It's the inability to completely let go of our sins, and not look back, but to move forward with an eye single to the glory of God and the pursuit of things spiritual and to cast off the natural man. We must do this to progress in this life, and become more like our Savior. We must! I know this is something that I sometimes struggle with, and have my whole life, but I'd like to think that I'm getting better. And that's part of what this blog is for. To commit myself (with Daryl's help) to reading the scriptures regularly, but also to really ponder the meaning of those things that will add depth to the application of these teachings in my life. It is like bearing my testimony, perhaps only to myself, but by writing my thoughts, I realize that I truly have a testimony of the teachings of the prophets, both past and present. It is what keeps me going in this life, and what gives me hope in the future. How fortunate I feel to have the knowledge that I have, and how much more I want to learn to gain more. This is my pursuit in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment