Sunday, June 20, 2010

1 Nephi chapter 4

Two things stood out to me in this chapter:

First, Nephi reasoned within himself the words of the angel and the justification in slaying Laban when the Lord delivered Laban into his hands. Specifically he realizes that in order for his posterity to have the law of Moses, that they might be obedient to the Lord in the promised land, they need to actually have the words of the law of Moses with them to be able to teach it to the people. I just find it interesting the thought process that Nephi goes through in order for him to understand this particular commandment of the Lord, even after the angel gives him a reason as well. I know that sometimes I need to understand why the Lord would have me do something in order to have the faith to do it, while other times I follow the commandment blindly, trusting that things will work out and I will understand them later. Even earlier in the chapter, Nephi leaves his brothers outside the city walls to go into the city himself. He even states that he "was led by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which [he] should do," (vs 6).

The other thing that stood out to me was the faith of Zoram, after he follows Nephi outside the city walls to his brothers, and Nephi invites him to join them. The scriptures do not tell us the thought process that Zoram must have gone through in considering whether or not he should go with Nephi and his brothers. Was he afraid? Or did he simply have the faith to know that this what the right thing for him to do? It seems in the scriptures that he accepts the invitation immediately, and I think it is impressive that he does not seem to hesitate. We know, through further reading, that Zoram remains righteous and obedient with Nephi and his people whenever Laman and Lemuel and part of Ishmael's family rebel against Nephi and Lehi. I think such faith is to be admired, and I would like to aspire to be more like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment